Lifeline Program

icon Dollar Sign

United understands the importance of access to voice services in today’s world and we do everything we can to make sure these communication services are affordable for our customers. As a community partner, United is proud to participate in the Lifeline Program to ensure access to affordable telephone service for everyone.

You may be eligible to receive up to $17.02 off your monthly telephone bill. You may qualify for Lifeline through participation in a qualifying federal government program or through your household income.

Program Participation:

  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
  • Medicaid (Medicare does not qualify)
  • Veterans or Veterans Survivor’s Pension
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Tribal Programs
    • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
    • Head Start
    • Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
    • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations

To prove participation in one of the above programs you may be required to submit a document that has at a minimum:

  1. Your name (or the name of a dependent or child that qualifies)
  2. The name of the Lifeline-qualifying program, such as SNAP
  3. An issue date within the last 12 months*

*If qualifying by Medicaid or Federal Public Housing Assistance, no documentation is required.
**If qualifying by SNAP, a Kansas Benefits Card cannot be used, it does not have the information needed for verification, you will have to submit your benefits letter.

Household Income:

2024 Lifeline Income Eligibility Guidelines

Number in HouseholdMaximum Annual Income (at 135% federal poverty level)
Each additional person$7,263

Income guidelines are adjusted annually. Guidelines are usually updated in Q1.

To prove household income is 135% or less than the federal poverty guidelines, you must submit one or more of the following documents:

  • The prior year’s tax return
  • Current income statement from an employer or paycheck stub*
  • Social Security statement of benefits
  • A Veterans Administration statement of benefits
  • A retirement/pension statement of benefits
  • An Unemployment/Worker’s Compensation statement of benefit
  • Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
  • Divorce decree, child support award, or other official document containing income information

*If you are providing documentation of income that does not cover a full year, such as a paystub, you must provide 3 consecutive months of paycheck stubs. Those 3 consecutive months all must be within the last 12 months.

To apply for Lifeline:

1. Log on to, choose your state, and click on Get Started. You will be asked to fill out their online form and upload any documentation that is required. After receiving notification that you are qualified, you will need to contact the United Billing Department to be enrolled and begin receiving your discount.


2. Download an application (PDF is below) and apply by Mail. Mail your application to:
Lifeline Support Center
PO Box 9100
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773

You will receive either an approval response or a request for more information in 7-10 days. Depending on turnaround times, this process could take an estimated 7-21 days to get qualified and enrolled. Once you receive the notification you are qualified, you will need to contact the United Billing Department to be enrolled and begin receiving your discount.

Click here to download the Lifeline Universal Form

Click here to download the Lifeline Universal Form (ESPANOL)

*Your United plan must meet the minimum services standard set forth by the FCC. Certain restrictions apply. Please call or visit a store for details. Discounts are not available in all areas or on all services.